Monday, July 28, 2008

Overall Course Reflection

This class is one of the most beneficial IT class that I have taken so far. The assignments were very meaningful and did not feel as if they were busy work. I have learned many great resources that I would actually use when I become an instructor. For instance, I believe that communication is the key to students’ success. Therefore, I will develop a class Web site to store the syllabus, class schedule, upcoming projects, tests and exam dates, class notes, etc. I would encourage my students to access the Web site as often as possible so they would not miss critical information. I also learned how to create a WebQuest and found it to be quite interesting. I would also use the WebQuest to promote student-centered learning. This is a great resource that will help all students learn at their own pace.
The strongest points of the class are Dr. Yuen’s organizational skills and meaningful assignments. I believe one key to success in an online environment is an instructor who is very organized, communicates clear directions and instructions, and is consistent. I never had to figure out what I was supposed to do or when an assignment was due. The course information and materials were presented on WebCT and students were responsible for the assignments. Another strong point of the class is the meaningful assignments as discussed in the first paragraph.
I am planning to integrate the technologies that I learned from this course in the classroom. For instance, I will use GooglePages to develop an online Web site for my class. I will use EyeJot as a way to communicate with my students. This would be a great way to inform students of critical changes or clarify a point from a class lecture. I would use WebQuest to reinforce learning concepts that were taught in class. Additionally, WebQuest is an excellent tool that would help students master the learning goals and objectives. Overall, I would use many of the technologies learned in IT 648 for future classes.

No comments: